Thursday, June 14, 2007

Much Ado About...Nothing?

Posted today on imdb.com:

Netflix Hit by a Blockbuster Punch
"Blockbuster has stepped up what some analysts have described as cutthroat price competition against NetFlix, reducing to $16.99 the monthly subscription price for its unlimited three-DVDs-out-at-a-time plan. The figure is $1.00 less than Netflix's most popular plan. Citigroup analyst Tony Wible told Reuters, "We expect that Netflix will eventually have to match the price cuts or lose significant share to Blockbuster." Shares of each company declined on the news, with Netflix falling 8.8 percent to $20.00, a three-month low."

Oh, I don't think so. For a dollar (okay $12/yr.) I'm going to recreate my 274-movie queue by hand, 12.5% of which Blockbuster doesn't carry? Netflix currently offers 80,000+ titles. Blockbuster: 70,000+. To be honest, I was thinking the difference would be more on the order of 25%. And it was when I trial-subscribed to Blockbuster a year ago. But nevermind that's still 34 movies I'd lose. (No fair pointing out that #15-#260 live in the fallout zone of passed over hopefuls as I leapfrog new releases to the head of the line. No doubt all of which Blockbuster now carries. Aargh! Who's writing this thing here, me or you?)

But maybe you're on to something. Blockbuster does offer their "Total Access" plan with an in-store return option and immediate swapout for even new releases AND an additional in-store rental coupon per month in addition to your 3-at-a-time all-you-can-eat plan.

But Netflix still wins with their nifty "Watch Now" feature. Right? I tried it. Once. It works great. If you like sitting hunchbacked and tyranosaurhanded in front of your computer for two hours. Alone. Kind of like I am now. My back.

You know, blue is my favorite color.

No comments: