Thursday, April 14, 2011

'Friends' Clone Round-Up

‘Traffic Light’ The slightest of the contenders. Less funny than just amusing. But, Roy from the office, and that dude w/ the big black glasses who was in ‘Scott Pilgrim.’

‘Cougar Town’ Funny, stars an actual Friend and Christa Miller of Scrubs 1.0. Plus drunks.

‘Perfect Couples’ Recently cancelled, but a favorite. Olivia Munn, Waitress from ‘Sunny,’ the Biederman doppelganger David Walton and dammit, when is Kyle Bornheimer of the late, great ‘Worst Week’ going to land a show that sticks?

‘Happy Endings’ The newest of the pack, and not bad. Elisha Cuthbert (bonus points if you know why this line is funny: “Are you trying to get yourself sold into white slavery?”), the grouchy blond from Scrubs 2.0, and the least annoying Wayans: Damon Jr., which is to say not Marlon. Also, most importantly, features my second favorite Casey Wilson.

2 comments:

Danny said...

I have put myself into an impossible Catch 22 situation with new television shows. With three kids and ever-growing committments, I'm very wary about adding new things to the DVR and getting invested in them. This also means that by the time something has become good (as I hear "Cougar Town" is), I feel like I've missed too much of it to bother coming in on it now, and then I add the season sets to my endless Netflix queue in the hopes that I'll get to it someday, or I hope that it gets renewed so that I can record all of the reruns during the summer (which is what I did with the first season of "Modern Family").

I think I also let my biases work against me. The whole reason I wasn't watching "Modern Family" from the start is because I thought, "Ugh, another family sitcom." Turns out it's much, much better than most others of that genre, but I didn't believe it until my sister convinced me. Same with "Perfect Couples" - I skipped it because the memory of the terrible US "Coupling" was still in my head, and I thought they sounded too similar. It was only when it was cancelled, and people whose opinions I respect (ie. you and Chad Haught) were upset that I realized I'd missed out on something.

Will Meekin said...

In that case, consider this your two minute warning to try out 'Bob's Burgers' before it's cancelled too. Jon Benjamin (Dr. Katz, Archer), Eugene Mirman, Kristen Schaal (Flight of the Conchords), what's the viewing public's major malfunction.

Also Tyler Willman's the fan who turned me onto it.