Monday, February 26, 2007

Pulp Fact!


Best Motion Picture of the Year
Achievement in Directing
Achievement in Film Editing
Adapted Screenplay

Best Picture? In 10 years Letters from Iwo Jima might stand up as the better movie, certainly the more "important" one. But I'll see your Dances With Wolves and raise you a Goodfellas. And Scorsese (The Aviator) and Eastwood (Million Dollar Baby) probably both should have lost to Alexander Payne's Sideways in 2005, but comedies don't win and, hey, we're all caught up now, right?

So long as Babel didn't win the social engineering award, I'm good.

3 comments:

Urinal Cake of Doom said...

I don't feel qualified to comment since I don't think I've seen any of the significant movies of this year, but that's never stopped me before.

I've had a grudge against the academy since Driving Miss Daisy beat out Born on the 4th of July. I have to say I'm happy with the results this year, even though I haven't seen any of them. I guess like everything else it seems to be boiling down to a popularity contest for me. I just like Forrest Whitaker. I just like Alan Arkin (I did see LMSS, and liked it). I like Marty's movies. "HE MAKES THE BEST MOVIES!!"

I couldn't stop fixating on how old Clint Eastwood looked though. Every time I see him I think of his line from the Unforgiven which is my fav of all of his. In response to his young partner saying a recently deceased bad guy had it coming to him, he simply says "We all got it coming, kid." So true.

Will Meekin said...

Yeah. Clint Eastwood's my movie hero, but I was squirming while he presented Ennio Morricone's special award. He flubbed several lines and explained it away with "I should have worn my glasses," but it seemed a little more than that.

Your evaluation of your reaction to the awards this year is spot on. I LIKE most of the people (who I feel I know personally) who won this year. So my grouchiness of last week has warmed to the self-satisfied glow of justice delivered. Which, is pretty far afield of the self-righteous ground I staked out on Friday. Whatever. Perhaps some of those who lost deserved to win, but like Will Munny says, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

Anonymous said...

So does this mean you won't be grouchy this week?